- What is MyIdentifiers.com.au?
- What is the purpose of an ISBN?
- Why should I register with MyIdentifiers.com.au?
- What do I do if I am a new publisher or self-publisher?
- How can I get a bar code I ordered?
- I already send my information in an Excel or ONIX file. How can MyIdentifiers.com.au help me?
- If all of my company information is in your Books In Print database, do I need to resubmit it into MyIdentifiers.com.au?
- I publish too many titles to fill out a form for each, can I send you a file instead?
- Where can I get bar codes?
- What do I do if I cannot find the answer to my question(s) in the FAQs?
- What do I do when I receive an error message?
- How do I register?
- I am a distributor. May I register in MyIdentifiers.com.au to update or add titles for publishers that I distribute for?
- My MyIdentifiers.com.au username and password will not work in Books In Print -- why?
- I have lost my Password to MyIdentifiers.com.au. How can I retrieve it?
MyIdentifiers.com.au provides publishers with tools and resources to purchase and assign book identifiers such as ISBNs, SANs, DOIs and others available through Identifier Services. MyIdentifiers.com.au provides a host of discoverability services and solutions for publishers including automated tools to update or add to their title listings in Bowker's Books In Print database.
The purpose of the ISBN is to establish and identify one title or edition of a title from one specific publisher and is unique to that edition, allowing for more efficient marketing of products by booksellers, libraries, universities, wholesalers and distributor.
MyIdentifiers.com.au allows you to easily organize, communicate and market your book titles and optimize their discovery among a wide audience of book, audio and video buyers. Thorpe-Bowker is the leading provider of bibliographic data and your titles are exposed to many facets of the book industry through this single web application.
If you intend to sell in bookstores, on Amazon and other online stores or place your book in libraries, you will be required to have an ISBN. At myidentifiers.com.au:
- Buy one or more ISBNs, assigned instantly.
- At Checkout, create an account by telling us your contact information so bookstores and libraries can contact you. If you do not have a company name, please enter your personal name in the company name field.
- When your book is completed, please tell us about how you've used the ISBN by logging into myidentifiers.com.au and pressing MY ACCOUNT. Double click on the ISBN and complete the registration form.
Login and press MY ACCOUNT.
Double click on the ISBN and press Generate.
Press Download to Save the bar code file to your computer.
Do not open the bar code and do not change its format.
If you supply title information to Thorpe-Bowker in Excel or ONIX format, you can use MyIdentifiers.com.au to access your listings, check titles, or make up-to-the-minute changes. You can do this online, and you will not need to create a new file or send a full update. Urgent changes to status, price, or title information can be made immediately. (Just ensure that the change also appears in your next file to Thorpe-Bowker, so we don't overwrite your work with incorrect information.) The My Identifiers Dashboard can also be used to enrich your title listings with cover images and descriptions all at the click of a button! In addition, stay connected to book buyers, librarians, and Thorpe-Bowker's retail customers by updating your company information in MyIdentifiers.com.au. You can add website and e-mail information, update your list of distributed clients, or provide contact information to our customers. MyIdentifiers.com.au allows you to update or enhance this information at your convenience.
If all of my company information is in your Books In Print database, do I need to resubmit it into MyIdentifiers.com.au?
No, you will not need to resubmit your information. MyIdentifiers.com.au is a system used to view, add, or update the information in our Books In Print database.
I publish too many titles to fill out a form for each, can I send you a file instead?
If you publish over 100 titles a year, Thorpe-Bowker will accept a data feed from your company. More information, including requirements can be accessed at http://www.bowker.com/tools-resources/title-submissions.html
Where can I get bar codes?
Our bar code service is simple, easy-to-use and especially helpful to smaller publishers. You can create and download the bar codes you need, when you need them.
What do I do if I cannot find the answer to my question(s) in the FAQs?
For questions related specifically to MyIdentifiers.com.au, please e-mail email@example.com
What do I do when I receive an error message?
Notify us by telephone +61 03 8517 8349 or email MyIdentifiers@thorpe.com.au. Please be sure to tell us what kind of computer you have, what kind of browser you're using, the exact error message, and any steps you've already taken to resolve the problem.
How do I register?
Simply follow these directions
- Go to the MyIdentifiers.com.au home page, click on the "Create An Account" button at the top of the home page.
- If you have ever purchased an ISBN through Thorpe-Bowker you are probably in our system already. Enter the information requested in order for our system to search for your account. You will have to revise your account information, including your current e-mail address (which will be your username) and specify a new password.
You will be asked to provide the following details on the initial screen:
- First and Last Name
- Full address
- Your E-mail Address (will be your username for future access)
- Organisation Name
- Full organisation address
- Choose an organisation type
- Assign a password
- Be sure to read the Statement of Use and click the "I Agree-Create My Account" button to complete your registration.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation message with the details of your registration.
You will be able to update your profile and organisation profile within the My Identifiers Dashboard at any time. If you are having trouble creating an account, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +03 8517 8349.
I am a distributor. May I register in MyIdentifiers.com.au to update or add titles for publishers that I distribute for?
Not yet. Only publishers can view, update or add titles. If you would like to provide this information on behalf of your publishers, please contact their MyIdentifiers.com.au administrator. Administrators can add usernames and passwords and, therefore, provide you access to their title records.
My MyIdentifiers.com.au username and password will not work in Books In Print -- why?
MyIdentifiers.com.au is a free website where publishers can add, edit, or view their data as it exists in the Books In Print database. BooksInPrint.com is a subscription-based website where customers can search, browse, and view all book titles published in North America, as well as internationally published titles. These interfaces do not have the same screens for displaying titles, because each screen is based on the functionality needed for that website. The MyIdentifiers.com.au screens are basic forms for data entry, and are designed for publishers to view their ISBN logbook and key their data. The Books In Print screens are designed for users to create a query on a set of titles that they want to view and then page through the results in a standard format. At this time, MyIdentifiers.com.au users can gain access to Books In Print only by purchasing a subscription to that product. Bowker understands the desire for publishers to see how their title will appear to their customers in Books In Print, and is currently investigating enhancing MyIdentifiers.com.au screens to show a preview after titles have been added.
I have lost my Password to MyIdentifiers.com.au. How can I retrieve it?
Click on the "forgot password" link, enter your e-mail address in the text field, and click submit to receive a copy of your password via email.