ISBNs help books get discovered!
The ISBN is a unique identifier for a book or other book-like product (such as an audiobook) that specifies its format, edition, and publisher. There are many reasons to purchase an ISBN for your title, including:
- An ISBN improves the likelihood your book will be found and purchased
- An ISBN links to essential information about your book
- An ISBN enables more efficient marketing and distribution of your title
- Most retailers require ISBNs
- An ISBN helps you collect and analyze book sales data
- An ISBN ensures your book’s information will be stored in the Books In Print database
- Books In Print is consulted by publishers, retailers and libraries around world when searching for title information
How many ISBNs do I need?
You will need one ISBN for each edition and format of your book. The ISBN identifies the publisher as well as the specific book title, edition and format (hardback, paperback, ePub, PDF, Mobi, Audio…). Any variation of a book would require the use of a unique ISBN to identify it properly. This allows retailers to help the customer understand exactly which version of a title they are purchasing. So, you should consider:
- How many book titles you are planning to publish
- How many formats will each title be created in
- Do you plan to publish future revised editions of these titles
NEW PUBLISHERS: A new publisher setup fee of $55 will be added to your cart if you have not previously purchased ISBNs from Thorpe- Bowker. This covers the set up of your New Publisher account, including verifying details and linking your publisher details to all the appropriate Bowker products for maximum exposure.
Why should I buy my ISBNs from Thorpe-Bowker?
Thorpe-Bowker is the official ISBN Agency for publishers physically located in Australia. If an ISBN is obtained from a source other than the official ISBN Agency, it might not identify the publisher of the title accurately. This can have implications for doing business in the publishing industry supply chain.