ISBNs help books get discovered!
The ISBN is a unique identifier for a book or other book-like product (such as an audiobook) that specifies its format, edition, and publisher. There are many reasons to purchase an ISBN for your title, including:
- An ISBN improves the likelihood your book will be found and purchased
- An ISBN links to essential information about your book
- An ISBN enables more efficient marketing and distribution of your title
- Most retailers require ISBNs
- An ISBN helps you collect and analyze book sales data
- An ISBN ensures your book’s information will be stored in the Books In Print database
- Books In Print is consulted by publishers, retailers and libraries around world when searching for title information
How many ISBNs do I need?
You will need one ISBN for each edition and format of your book. The ISBN identifies the publisher as well as the specific book title, edition, and format (hardback, paperback, ePub, PDF, Mobi, Audio…). Any variation of a book would require the use of a unique ISBN to identify it properly. This allows retailers to help the customer understand exactly which version of a title they are purchasing. So, you should consider:
- How many book titles you are planning to publish
- How many formats will each title be created in
- Do you plan to publish future revised editions of these titles
NEW PUBLISHERS: A new publisher setup fee of $55 will be added to your cart if you have not previously purchased ISBNs from Thorpe- Bowker. This covers the set up of your New Publisher account, including verifying details and linking your publisher details to all the appropriate Bowker products for maximum exposure.
Why should I buy my ISBNs from Thorpe-Bowker?
Thorpe-Bowker is the official ISBN Agency for publishers physically located in Australia. If an ISBN is obtained from a source other than the official ISBN Agency, it might not identify the publisher of the title accurately. This can have implications for doing business in the publishing industry supply chain.
How do I buy my ISBNs from Thorpe-Bowker?
- Create an ISBN account by Clicking on Sign In/Register in the top right corner of the homepage at www.MyIdentifiers.com.au During the registration process you will create a ‘Sign In’ and will gain access to an ISBN Dashboard. By doing this you will be recognized as Publisher of all book titles and ISBNs associated with this registration.
- Make an ISBN purchase by Credit Card. Once your payment is processed your will immediately receive your ISBNs in a Confirmation email. This email contains instructions on how to report your title details via your ISBN Dashboard. You will also receive a Tax Receipt.
- After purchase go to My Account > Manage ISBNs. This is your ISBN Dashboard where you assign your ISBN to your publication. See (Title Assignment Instructions PDF) This final step is an important one and it is vital that the detail you submit is the finalized title detail. Within 48 hours the metadata is uploaded onto Bowker’s Books in Print and Bookwire.com
For more information about the ISBN standard, or if you are looking for the official ISBN Agency in your jurisdiction, visit the International ISBN Agency.